Exclusively at Premier Drugstore
What is sildenafil?
Sildenafil belongs to a class of medications known as PDE-5 inhibitors. Sildenafil is FDA approved to treat erectile dysfunction and benign prostatic hyperplasia. It works to treat erectile dysfunction by increasing blood flow to the penis during sexual stimulation. This increased blood flow can cause an erection. A recent research study suggests that PDE-5 inhibitors may decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease in treated individuals.
What are SILDENAFILMS® OTF? How do I use them? Why is buccal delivery better?
SILDENAFILMS® OTF are a unique drug delivery system that allows sildenafil to be absorbed through mucous membranes. This system is an innovative mucoadhesive system which allows for quick absorption and faster onset of action than traditional tablet formulations that must dissolve before being absorbed. It also allows the prescriber to order lower doses, which may produce fewer adverse effects than other sildenafil dosage forms. The film comes in a plastic wrapper and can be carried in your pocket.
This proprietary system is easy to use. The patient simply places the film on the inside of their cheek and the film will do the rest. The film will slowly dissolve over a few minutes.
How are SILDENAFILMS® OTF supplied?
SILDENAFILMS® OTF are supplied in plastic sleeves as 22 mg or 44mg oral transmucosal films. The films are dispensed in a metalized, moisture barrier bag. They can be made in any strength the prescriber would like. They are dispensed in multiples of 2.
- Lozenges, Troches, and Films. In: Allen, LV, Jr. The Art, Science, and Technology of Pharmaceutical Compounding Fifth Edition. American Pharmacists Association; 2016: 215.
- Sildenafil Systemic. Thomson Micromedex. USP DI – Drug Indormation for the Healthcare Professional, 26th Edition. Taunton, MA: USP Convention, Inc; 2006: 2686.
- Sildenafil Citrate. In: Trissel LA. Trissel’s Stability of Compounded Formulations, 5th Edition. APhA: 2012; 434.
- Robert A Kloner, MD, PhD, Eric Stanek, Pharm D, Christopher L Crowe, MPH, Mukul Singhal, PhD, Rebecca S Pepe, MPH, Julia Bradsher, PhD, MBA, Raymond C Rosen, PhD, Effect of phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors on major adverse cardiovascular events and overall mortality in a large nationwide cohort of men with erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular risk factors: A retrospective, observational study based on healthcare claims and national death index data, The Journal of Sexual Medicine, Volume 20, Issue 1, January 2023, Pages 38–48, https://doi.org/10.1093/jsxmed/qdac005
- USP <795>. United States Pharmacopeia XLIII / National Formulary 38. Rockville, MD. US Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc. 2020: 7025.
How do I get SILDENAFILMS® OTF?
Sildenafilms are a prescription only compounded drug available to residents of the state of Georgia. We are working on wading through the red tape as we add states that we can ship to. Your doctor can either call Premier Drugstore and give a telephone order or fill out the sample prescription available here and fax it to Premier Drugstore. If you do not have a doctor, call us and we will refer you to a doctor familiar with Sildenafilms.
Who should not use SILDENAFILMS® OTF?
Sildenafilms should not be taken by anyone taking nitrates such as nitroglycerin or isosorbide or anyone allergic to sildenafil.